Jan van Vuuren, born in 1871, was a student in Dordrecht by Roland Larij and then took classes at the Hague Academy. From about 1896 he regularly went to the Veluwe. He painted in and around villages such as Epe, Elburg and Nunspeet (heath) landscapes, streets, harbors and woods. That is why he is counted among the Veluwe painters. Van Vuuren was a member of Pulchri Studio in The Hague from 1896.