Anton Mauve artwork • watercolour • drawing • previously for sale Sheepfold returning
Zaandam 1838-1888 Arnhem
watercolour on paper 38.0 x 56.0 cm, signed l.r.
This work on paper was previously for sale.
Anton Mauve is one of the foremost painters of the Hague School. He received his training from the animal painters P.F. van Os and Wouterus Verschuur. He also worked for a time in the Gelderland village of Oosterbeek with P.J.C. Gabriel. In his paintings he combines landscape and animals. After some wanderings he settled in The Hague in 1871.Later he moved to Laren, where he painted the heathland with herds of woolly sheep melting into the silver grey tones of the landscape. One of his favourite spots was an area of waste land situated just outside Laren, which later became known as the Mauve Sands.