Search by artist
Sluit
back

Wijnand Nuijen artwork • watercolour • drawing • for sale Man and his dog in the cloister of the Dom of Utrecht

Wijnand Nuijen

Man and his dog in the cloister of the Dom of Utrecht
watercolour on paper 26.5 x 23.6 cm, signed l.r. and dated 1833

This work on paper is for sale.

Price: € 8,500

Provenance: Kunsthandel Pieter A. Scheen, 's-Gravenhage, 1968; part. coll.
Literature: John Sillevis, Nini Jonker, 'Wijnand Nuyen (1813-1839): romantische werken', Den Haag 1977, pag. 96, afb. 74; C.H. Staal, 'Wijnand Nuyen en de kloostergang van de Dom', 'Maandblad Oud-Utrecht' 9(1980), pag. 113-115, afb. pag. 114.
Exhibited: Den Haag, Haags Gemeentemuseum, 'Wijnand Nuyen (1813-1839): romantische werken', 17 dec. 1977-12 febr. 1978.

W.J.J. Nuijen was a pupil of A. Schelfhout. During his short life – he died aged 26 – Nuyen developed an intense romantic vision on how a landscape should be portrayed, thereby giving a new impulse to Dutch landscape art. New for the time were his fresh use of colour and the animated staffage of his paintings. He chiefly painted landscapes, town and water views and also taught and advised J. Bosboom, C.H.J. Leickert and C. Rochussen.


Wijnand Nuijen | A man and woman in the cloister of the Dom Church in Utrecht, oil on panel, 49.0 x 44.8 cm, signed l.r. and dated 1832

Wijnand Nuijen

painting • for sale

A man and woman in the cloister of the Dom Church in Utrecht, 1832

Wijnand Nuijen | An extensive river landscape, possible the river Rhine, oil on panel, 41.9 x 55.3 cm, signed l.c. (indistinctly) and dated 1831

Wijnand Nuijen

painting • for sale

An extensive river landscape, possible the river Rhine, 1831-1831

Wijnand Nuijen | Watermill and ferry, oil on panel, 40.5 x 57.3 cm, signed l.l. and dated ca. 1835-1837

Wijnand Nuijen

painting • for sale

Watermill and ferry, ca. 1835-1837

Wijnand Nuijen | Women and children near a house, oil on panel, 41.9 x 33.1 cm, signed l.r. and dated 1834

Wijnand Nuijen

painting • for sale

Women and children near a house, 1834


Open all year round

Tuesday to Saturday from 11-17 hours and by appointment